22 July 2009

And I guess that's your world..

They seemed so true,
those letters;
surprised even me
they could be from you.
"You've changed my horizon,"
they'd say,
"made me aware
of a world I never knew."

I guess that's my world:
Planet Swine.
Where locusts are delicacies
and Ziplocks hold the
president's seal.

I guess that's my world
where the bell tolls
for the beggar's aching belly
where street singers
toss nickles down
to the Senate floor

I guess that's my world
where groceries are bought
with egg shells
and rye whiskey remains
atop America's most wanted

You see the letters
they weren't from you
as much as they were to me
As my own parables
weren't for you
as much as they were by me

I guess that's your world
where the pen
resolves all arguments
and a smile serves
as a trump card
to any dissent

And I guess that's your world
where a side hug
shows enough care
to keep you out of trouble
and an affable front
allows it all
to remain irrelevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment